Can it wear out the life of my pc to mine?

The concept of mining for games is an interesting idea but I'm worried that constantly running my pc may end up hurting it. Does anyone who mines while their pc is idle a lot have any problems with this?

Comments

• hello,
    to avoid noise and heat, I drop Energy Plan of my video card to 50%.
    I down from 47Mh/s to 40Mh/s, saving also a bit power from 220W to 110W.
    I mine always when PC is running and when I don't play, otherwise I stop the mining.

• The amount of wear on the system supposed to be equivalent to running/playing your average 3D game. Honestly, it’s probably a touch less on the GPU but a touch more on the CPU if you choose to use it to mine. Since my cooling solution on the CPU isn’t where I’d want it for continuous use, I’m only using the GPU which in my particular setup is fine.

I’m hoping further down the line we get more control over how mining is done, like setting a schedule, utilization targets, temperature targets, mining amount targets, etc. In the meantime, you can do this somewhat manually by choosing when to and when not to mine (like only certain times of the day or week, etc) to try to alleviate some of those fears. I’d only be personally be concerned if you have an older system or one that isn’t cooled optimally or if replacement hardware is hard to come by where you live.