User Reviews as sales pitches

Before robotcache caught on, if you didn't like a game you'd put a bad review. Now if you buy a game, you're similar to a part-time shareholder of the title because it's no longer a purchase, it's an investment.

It's not a bad thing, but it will skew ratings/public image when people who don't like the game any more try to make it in their best interest that it sells.

For example... "great game, love the graphics! buy now!" could also be the same person who might have said, "It crashed on launch, didn't get to play. Don't waste your money."

This is good because users will take an active interest in the game's development, but also bad because they'll take an active role in how that game is perceived.

Overall, people will just have to be good and discerning shoppers with their purchase, just like everything else they buy online - but there will be slightly less trust among gamers for good/bad reviews.

I still love it because I can use it the way they intended - to retrieve some investment cost after you've had all the fun you feel like you can have from a specific title. I'm sure many people (like me) have a lot of money they have just laying around online in third-party libraries that will never have a home on an actual local hard drive again.

Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• ....That's why i never bought games at full price....I don't care to have the last new games.I prefer to wait they are on sold or free.now with epic store,twitch and others you can get great games for free this are the games i have and that's enought for me!Sometimes i buy a game on gamivo but usually i buy games at less than 2 bucks..

• .....For exemple today injustice is free on steam!it's a great game i'm so happy!

• I feel ya. I've paid probably 0.01% of what my game libraries are actually worth. Haven't missed any of the epic store giveaways for example, and that's at least $1000 right there; but over the years, it can add up. (Thanks for the heads-up with injustice, by the way, I have the second one, and now I have the first too within 20 seconds of you mentioning that. haha) xD

• edited June 2020

:) ....About reviews ...there are no reviews on robocache then people who will buy games here don't have this influence,then it's cool for reselling no?

• Yeah... Reviews are important to me but they don't have to be the same place you buy the game. Uplay doesn't have reviews on-site either and they do fine. So as long as robotcache doesn't introduce their own user reviews functionality and gamers only read the reviews of verified purchases on other sites, it should be alright.